Thomas Burling owned a tract of rural land west of the Bloomingdale Road near the present intersection of Broadway and 5th Avenue. A lane running through the property was named after the family.
As John Randel’s proposed street grid from 1811 was being adopted, Burling’s Lane became the subject of a Superior Court case. In 1849, the question was brought to the court whether an original deed for a parcel of land north of the lane was bordered by the northern edge of the lane or whether the border ran down the center of the lane. The court held that the northern edge of the lane formed the border of the property.
New York (State), and Lewis H. Sandford. 1849. Reports of cases argued and determined in the Superior Court of the City of New York [1847-1852]. New York: Banks, Gould [etc.] p. 234
Sackersdorff, O. Maps of farms commonly called the Blue book, 1815. [map] Retrieved from the New York Public Library Digital Gallery June 16, 2011. http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/id?1531810